Saturday, April 3, 2010

Two books by Two Rick's

I started The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey Thursday. It's a slow book. Then yesterday I put it down for a bit and picked up The Lightning Thief, the first in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. I started, and finished it yesterday too. I was told that it was a quick read by a lady that works at the library (Hi, S!!!! :)) Quick, yes, and enjoyable. I really liked that the adventure starts right away. It doesn't tell a long drawn out back story before you get to see anything happen. (Let me explain something right quick. I say things like that...using the verb 'see' when obviously I'm reading, not watching, right?....but for me it's true. Once I read the first few lines, I no longer am even consciously reading the book. I am watching it in my mind, watching the story unfold as if in a movie. I don't know, maybe it happens to everyone when they read novels. But that's why sometimes I slip into saying things like 'I see' when I am talking about something that I read.) Percy Jackson is a likable character and I can't wait to read more, and see the actual movie too.

Now I need to finish The Monstrumologist, if I can!

And because I don't really enjoy coming up with quick plot summaries, here's the publisher comments for The Lightning Thief.

Publisher Comments:
What if the gods of Olympus were alive in the 21st Century? What if they still fell in love with mortals and had children who might become great heroes — like Theseus, Jason and Hercules?

What if you were one of those children?

Such is the discovery that launches twelve-year-old Percy Jackson on the most dangerous quest of his life. With the help of a satyr and a daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction — Zeus' master bolt. Along the way, he must face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop him. Most of all, he must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment