Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hush, Hush and Skeleton Creek

last night after finishing Harvest Home, I started Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. I finished it today. It's a good book for a first time author, a very fast read....although it has some flaws I enjoyed it regardless. It was about a girl named Nora. She is drawn to a new boy at school Patch...and struggles with her attraction but also her fear of him. After some strange and dangerous happenings, she finds out who, and what, Patch really is...a fallen angel. I liked the ending, and I look forward to reading the next one. Some things don't make a lot of sense, and Nora can make some stupid decisions...but really, if a character did everything they way you think they should have, you wouldn't have the book now would you? like a movie where you're screaming, don't go through that door! and they do, if they didn't then the monster wouldn't have got them, but it needed to FOR THE STORY.

After I finished Hush, Hush, I picked up a book I got from the library yesterday. It's a REALLY quick read: Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman. It's written in journal format, complete with ruled lines on the pages, and a font that looks like hadwriting. Ryan is the journal's author: a teen who has recently been in the hospital after breaking his leg after snooping around with his best friend Sarah (they are trying to figure out why their town is names Skeleton Creek). They are forbidden by their parents to have contact but they manage through email and Sarah sends Ryan passwords to go onto a site and see the videos she has posted online. What's different about this book is that you can actually log onto the internet, enter the passwords, and see the videos yourself. I think that was really neat...I've never seen any other book do that before. I think it's great...and I think it will encourage a lot of young readers to check out this novel. I finished in in less than 2 hours. It's spooky and makes you want to run to the bookstore and get the next one. Not deep by any stretch BUT fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment