Sunday, May 30, 2010

L. McDaniel & C. Cooney

Went to the library last Thursday, the one in Braselton near my mom's house. I talked to the girl at the checkout...she loves YA books too. She suggested a couple authors to try so I checked some out. I read two of them in one day: Telling Christina Goodbye and Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep by Lurlene McDaniel. I remember I used to read her books in highschool. Super easy reads about kids dealing with tragedy or disease. Telling Christina Goodbye is about a girl who is in a car wreck with her friends and having to deal with the loss of her best friend, the anmesia of her boyfriend, and the animosity she feels to the driver (who was her best friends boyfriend). Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep was about a girl who is in remission from cancer when her friend from her support group's cancer comes back. It's impossible to treat. He goes into hospice and her and both families have to cope with the events. These were ok books, not as sad as I remember them in high school. they didn't move me to tears, unlike the book I read the next day...

A Friend at Midnight, by Caroline B Cooney. Another fast read, I read it in a day. But literally, I couldn't stop reading it. It starts off with a little boy 8 years old, being dumped off at the airport(no luggage, no ticket, nothing)! You find out it's his father that does this. He calls his sister, 15 year old Lily who is the main character of the book. She rescues him but keeps the secret of what really happened at her brother's request. It is a religious book but it's not too preachy. The last chapter had me in tears. I don't know why this book touched me so much, other than me thinking about the little boy being abandoned by his father...now that I have kids myself the thought of anything like that happen makes me . I will look forward to reading more by this author; I hope they are all as good as this one. It's probably for a younger audience BUT I enjoyed it anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment